About the Program
The Nishnawbe Aski Mental Health Wellness Support Access Program (NAN Hope) provides community-driven, culturally appropriate and timely mental health and addictions support to members of the 49 First Nations communities in the Nishnawbe Aski region.
This First Nation-led program is in response to the specific mental health needs of community members in northern Ontario, offering a central access point to mental health and addictions support. The Program features:
- 24/7 live answer at the toll-free telephone line at 1-844-NAN-HOPE (626-4673)
- Live web-chat and text support through the website at nanhope.ca or Facebook Messenger
- Streamlined navigation to existing community-based and regional support services, bridging possible gaps in services;
- Rapid access to confidential counselling support by telephone; and,
- Access to a 24/7 crisis/distress support line.
The NAN Hope Wellness Navigators are the primary contact for NAN members who reach out by phone, text, live chat, or Facebook. Wellness Navigators provide navigation to existing community-based and regional support services and connect members to confidential counselling support.
Rapid-Access Counselling Services
All counselling is delivered by Masters-level Registered Psychotherapists, Registered Social Workers, and Registered Nurses, as well as Traditional Counsellors, all of whom have experience and skill in a variety of therapeutic modalities. Our team includes counsellors who speak OjiCree, Cree, Ojibwe, and English, all of whom are engaged in ongoing Indigenous cultural safety training and have experience providing support to Indigenous communities in-person and via distance.
Counselling is available for anyone experiencing a wide range of mental health challenges, including, but not limited to: addictions, domestic violence, suicidality, self-harm behaviours, depression, anxiety, and grief/bereavement.
Therapeutic modalities include:
- Traditional Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Emotion Focused therapy
- Narrative Therapy